- Doctor – These members of Medical are the officers of the fleet who deal in the general field of medicine. They diagnose, treat, and care for their patients without regard for who their patient may be. Medical Officers generally join the fleet at a higher rank than most officers (O3: Lieutenant), due to their professional training.
- Surgeon – The Medical Department has need for those who can perform surgical operations on patients that require it. Removing bullets, an appendix, or perhaps removing a cancerous tumor are all tasks that surgeons may perform throughout their tenure as officers. Medical Officers generally join the fleet at a higher rank than most officers (O3: Lieutenant), due to their professional training.
- Psychiatrist – These are officers of the Medical Department that deal with medicine in a different way. They help crewmembers who need to speak with someone about personal problems or troubles that normal doctors just can’t fix. Typically compassionate individuals, the ‘shrink’ is there to help deal with all manner of psychological issues from assistance with drug addiction to minor bouts of depression to full-blown cases of multiple personality disorders.
- Nurse – These are the enlisted and officer members of Medical who assist the officers in daily tasks of patient care. They can perform first-aid, triage care, hook up IVs, or the higher skilled ones may be able to make preliminary diagnoses for the Doctors to consider.
- Medical Assistant ("Medic"): Medical Assistants are enlisted ratings who provide day to day medical care and advice, dispensing of simple drugs, as well as first aid and paramedic care for any incidents. They are also responsible for the security and accounting for all medical supplies and pharmaceuticals used or issued. On smaller vessels, the entire medical department of the ship may consist of MA ratings, with no medical officers present. Medical Assistants have similar skills as Combat Medics, but their training is focused on providing care in sickbay rather than on a battlefield.